Looking for a tactical flashlight for your AR-15? If so, here we have reviewed several of the best and most popular tactical flashlights on the market today, and discussed the pros and cons associated with each light.
We have also included an AR 15 Tactical Flashlight Buying Guide, in which we will discuss the benefits of owning such a light and point out the things you should look for when selecting one for your weapon.
- Top Tactical Flashlights for the AR-15 (2019 – 2020)
- 1. SureFire X300 Ultra Series LED WeaponLights with TIR Lens
- 2. Streamlight 69220 TLR-3 Weapon Mounted Tactical Light
- 3. SureFire M Series Scout Light
- The Benefits of Having an AR 15 Tactical Flashlight
- Things to Look for When Purchasing an AR 15 Tactical Flashlight
Top Tactical Flashlights for the AR-15 (2019 – 2020)
Here’s a quick summary of our favorite tactical flashlights for the money right now.
Last update on 2021-07-25 at 23:40 / Affiliate disclosure / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. SureFire X300 Ultra Series LED WeaponLights with TIR Lens
The SureFire X300 Ultra Series LED WeaponLights with TIR Lens features special off-white, high-performance LED light to illuminate your path and your target when shooting.
The light produces 600 lumens of brightness and is biased towards the yellow-green portion of the color spectrum for optimal human vision in low-low light scenarios.
What’s more, the precision TIR lens on this tactical flashlight creates a smooth, tight beam for zeroing in on a target, with enough residual surround light for peripheral illumination. Users can control the toggle switches of this tactical flashlight with either hand; and the integral aluminum T-slot mounting system offers a hassle-free attachment to your AR 15 weapon.
- Integrated ambidextrous switching. The toggles on the SureFire X300 Ultra Series LED WeaponLights with TIR Lens can be accessed on the go with either hand.
- Lightweight. With its aluminum body, the flashlight is very lightweight.
- Complicated manual. Some users have lamented that the instruction manual for the SureFire X300 Ultra Series LED WeaponLights with TIR Lens is very complicated.
2. Streamlight 69220 TLR-3 Weapon Mounted Tactical Light
With its state-of-the-art white light illuminator and technically advanced lithium-ion batteries, the Streamlight 69220 TLR-3 Weapon Mounted Tactical Light is both bright and long-lasting, checking the two most important boxes for a tactical light of this kind.
With its rail locating keys, the tactical flashlight can be used with both rail-style and Picatinny weapons, and its waterproof design (1 meter for 30 minutes) will protect it from damage in inclement weather.
Ultra-lightweight and compact, the Streamlight TLR-3 Weapon-Mounted Tactical Light features the latest in C4 LED technology and provides 1.5-hours of continuous run time from a single lithium battery.
- Waterproof. Unlike many tactical flashlights of this kind, the Streamlight 69220 TLR-3 Weapon Mounted Tactical Light is completely waterproof.
- Concentrated beam. The flashlight delivers a concentrated beam for sighting up your intended target.
- Brightness concerns. At only 125 lumens, the Streamlight 69220 TLR-3 Weapon Mounted Tactical Light is not as bright as some of the other flashlights on our list.
3. SureFire M Series Scout Light
Boasting the very best in performance, the SureFire M Series Scout Light is a recoil-proof LED lighting system that generates 500 lumens of blindingly bright light and continues producing a tactical level of light for 1.3 hours on a single charge.
The TIR—total internal reflection—lens on this tactical flashlight creates a versatile beam with enough reach for medium-range shots and a sufficient amount of surround light to guarantee good peripheral vision in low-light conditions. Its tail-cap click switch prevents accidental activation; and its coated aerospace aluminum design translates to years of rust-proof durability.
- TIR lens. Tactical flashlights with the TIR lens regularly score higher than those without the lens in terms of both focused beams and surround light.
- Easy to use. The SureFire M Series Scout Light is easy to use and even easier to install.
- Premium-priced. Of the tactical flashlights we reviewed in this article, we cannot recommend the SureFire M Series Scout Light to the budget-conscious consumer.
If your goal is to purchase a tactical flashlight for your AR 15 you will definitely reap some very specific benefits. However, before purchasing such a flashlight there are many factors, features and characteristics you will need to consider.
To help you make the most enlightened purchasing decision possible, below we will briefly explain the benefits of an AR 15 tactical flashlight and highlight some of the things to look for when the time comes to shop for one.
The Benefits of Having an AR 15 Tactical Flashlight
An AR 15 tactical flashlight will help ensure that you are ready for every type of low-light situation and scenario, wherever you may happen to be.
Whether you intend to hunt certain animals at night, dusk or dawn, or you need to protect your home and your family after a power outage caused by some type of storm, an AR 15 tactical flashlight is a major benefit for your weapon.
Tactical flashlights ensure you will have improved vision and better aim in all low-light scenarios, as the light will illuminate down the barrel of the gun to the exact target at which you are pointing the weapon. Some hunters may even find that this light is helpful in medium or full-light situations as well.
Simply put, having a flashlight attached to your AR 15 can positively affect the performance of your weapon. Here are just a few of the benefits associated with this type of rifle accessory:
The AR 15 tactical flashlight is a very versatile piece of equipment. Not only can it help illuminate objects to shoot in the distance, it can also light your way along a dark path and can even be used for self-protection in certain situations.
Lights Up the Night
If you enjoy hunting at night or in low-light situations, or you just want a home-protection weapon that will allow you to spot an intruder in the dark, the AR 15 tactical flashlight is a must-have accessory for your weapon.
Most of the AR 15 tactical flashlights on the market today offer some pretty impressive illumination. Recent innovations in LED light technology has led to incredible lighting from a pretty small source.
And of course, when the lighting is optimal your visibility will be what it needs to be in a pinch.
Most AR 15 tactical flashlights come with very strong construction. Today’s weapon-based tactical flashlights are made from the very best materials, ranging from metal products to incredibly tough polymers.
Thus, when you are out on the trail and you accidentally drop your flashlight, you can be sure that it will continue to work.
When you have an AR 15 tactical flashlight your shooting accuracy has a tendency to rise exponentially. The proper illumination is key in low-light situations.
Not only will it help you to spot up and be more accurate with your target, it will also prevent you from shooting an unintended target. Many gun accidents worldwide are caused by people who are blindly shooting, and an AR 15 tactical flashlight will help you avoid that forever.
With an attachable AR 15 tactical flashlight you will be able to keep your hands free. Hunting or protecting your home in the dark once meant you had to hold a gun in one hand and a flashlight in the other (if a flashlight was even handy).
However, with these attachable AR 15 tactical flashlights you will never have to worry about misfiring just because your hands were not free.
Things to Look for When Purchasing an AR 15 Tactical Flashlight
When purchasing an AR 15 tactical flashlight there are many factors and features you will need to consider. That’s because not all tactical lights offer the same level of benefits.
Understanding the various features and functions that transform a regular flashlight into a superior tactical flashlight will allow you to get just the right flashlight for your specific needs and preferences.
Here are just some of things to look for when purchasing one of these tactical lights:
If you are going to purchase an AR 15 tactical flashlight you need to be sure it can deliver on the level of brightness you need. And when it comes to tactical flashlights, not all of them offer the same measure of brightness.
Most tactical flashlights offer at least some illumination during the nighttime hours, but unless you can actually see the beam of light during the day your light may not offer enough brightness in very low-light situations.
One way to ensure you get a tactical flashlight with enough brightness is to look for the word “lumens.” Lumens is a measure that denotes brightness in lights, and the more lumens a light has the brighter it will be.
You should also read some reviews before purchasing your AR 15 tactical flashlight, as this will help you choose a quality light over one that was not generally liked by other users—in other words, you can learn from their mistakes.
Last but certainly not least, you should also consider the focus or size of the beam. If you want a light that will illuminate a large area, as some hunters prefer, you will need a light with a looser focus.
However, if you are a target shooter or going after game in which the first shot MUST lead to a humane kill, a light with a tighter focus, which provides more light to a smaller area, might be preferential.
Having an AR 15 tactical flashlight is always a good idea when hunting or protecting your home in low-light situations. However, unless that light—and the batteries that operate it—are very long-lasting, your AR 15 tactical flashlight becomes absolutely useless to you.
Having a light that you are certain will go the distance throughout a night-long hunting expedition is critical. Carrying a backup light is always an option, but these backups can be heavy and bulky, weighing you down along the trail, not to mention expensive.
While brightness and longevity are by far the most crucial factors when searching for and ultimately purchasing an AR 15 tactical flashlight, there are also a few other factors to consider. These include:
- Construction and durability—how the light is made and how durable it is
- Weight—a very heavy flashlight atop your AR 15 can weigh you down unnecessarily and can even affect your true aim.
- Controls and options. How many bells and whistles does the flashlight come with, things like focus controls and panning.
- Ease of Use—How easy is the AR 15 tactical flashlight to use? While some expensive lights may come with a lot of extras and great features, if you can’t figure out how to use those extra functions they are essentially worthless.
Read plenty of reviews with the above-mentioned factors and keywords in mind and you’ll have a much better chance of getting an AR 15 tactical flashlight that actually meets your every need.